What to do
If the Person Is conscious but unable to talk:
1. Give Back Blows
• Locate the mid area of the back between both shoulder blades and give about 5 blows with the heel of your hand.
If Person is still choking,
2. Do abdominal thrusts
Provided the person is not pregnant or morbidly obese.
- Stand behind the person and wrap your arms around the waist.
- Clench your right hand into a fist and place above the person’s navel, then, place your left fist above it and grab your right fist with your other hand.
- Pull inward and upward against the person’s stomach
- Continue cycles of 5 back blows and 5 abdominal thrusts until theobject is coughed up or the person starts to breathe
- If you can see the cause of choking, take it out of the person’s mouth
If the person is pregnant or very obese:
3. Do high abdominal thrusts
• Stand behind the person, then position your hands just under the breasts • Pull inward and uprward, until the object is dislodged
3. Do CPR, if the person is still not breathing